Crispy shrimp tacos in warm flour tortillas drizzled with the easiest bang bang sauce… these tacos are perfect for Cinco de Mayo!
How to make Bang Bang Shrimp
This recipe requires many bowls which is something that bugs my husband to no end! Mostly because he is the dish washer in this household.
- You will need one bowl with your flour mixture and another bowl with your whisked eggs.
- Heat a skillet with oil on medium heat.
- Dip your shrimp into the egg wash and then coat with the flour mixture.
- Place in a hot pan and cook each side until golden.
- Set aside on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
How to assemble your tacos
You can use flour or corn tortillas for these tacos.
- Start by charring them a little weather you use a cast iron skillet or the stovetop flame… give them a nice crisp!
- Fill your taco with your slaw and then top with as many shrimp as you can fit in the taco shell.
- Finally, finish it off by drizzling with your bang bang sauce OR you can toss your shrimp in the sauce before adding them to the tortillas.
What is bang bang shrimp?
Bang Bang Shrimp is Thai in origin. It refers to the sweet chili sauce that they toss shrimp in. Interestingly enough, Bang Bang Sauce in America has evolved into something a bit different. Bonefish Grill actually is pretty famous for their Bang Bang Shrimp and rather than a typical sweet chili sauce, theirs is a bit on the creamy side!
How to make bang bang sauce
You will be shook by how easy bang bang sauce is to make! To be honest I was pretty shocked by what bang bang sauce is made out of but it only takes 4 ingredients that you probably already have in your fridge and pantry.
Crispy shrimp combined with a zesty slaw topped with a creamy bang bang sauce makes for a dang good taco.
3 Shrimp Per Taco = 12 Shrimp
4 Shrimp Per Taco = 16 Shrimp
(1/2C Coconut Flour, 1/3C Corn Starch, 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder, 1 teaspoon Paprika, 1-2 Eggs whisked)
1 bag of Shredded Cabbage
(Olive Oil (enough to coat the cabbage), juice of 1 Lime, 1 teaspoon Garlic, 1 teaspoon Salt, 1 teaspoon Pepper, 1/2 teaspoon Cumin, 1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder)
Bang Bang Sauce
(1/2C Low Fat Mayo, 1/4C Ketchup, Sriracha (adjust based on how spicy you’d like the sauce), 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder)
Tortillas – flour or corn
Bang Bang Sauce
1. Combine the sauce ingredients, whisk and set aside.
1. In a large bowl combine the cabbage, olive oil, lime juice, salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin and chili powder.
2. Mix until well coated
1. Whisk your eggs in a bowl and set aside
2. Whisk the flour ingredients in a bowl and set aside
3. Dip your shrimp in the egg mixture and then the flour mixture. Place in a hot skillet with olive oil and cook each side until golden.
4. Remove and place on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil
1. Char your tortillas in a hot skillet or over an open flame on the stove top (be careful!!)
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Keywords: Tacos, Cinco de Mayo, Shrimp, Dinner