These Double Chocolate Orange Cookies are gooey, delicious and all around decadent! Who knew chocolate + orange went so well together?
These cookies are rich, chewy and so incredibly chocolatey! The citrus from the orange mixed with the deep chocolate flavor makes such a lovely flavor profile. They’re unique and unlike anything I’ve made before. I baked a few dozen while I was trying to get them 100% right and in order to get them out of the house, I forced husband to take them to work! The good news is they were all gone by the end of the day so I guess people liked them!
Ingredients You’ll Need For These Double Chocolate Orange Cookies
Tips and Tricks For Recipe Success:
Like I mentioned, this recipe took me a while to get right… but after finally doing it, I know exactly what needs to be done to get it right!
- Parchment paper or a greased baking sheet? Either works here! I’ve read that using a greased baking sheet causes your cookies to spread more because of the fat but I tried both and it didn’t really make a difference.
- Chilled or non-chilled dough? Chill the dough! I know it’s annoying and honestly I try to avoid chilling my dough at all costs but it is needed for this recipe. So chill out while your dough chills for at LEAST 30 minutes but preferably 1 hour.
- Melted butter or softened butter? Melt that butter!! Melting the butter will help these cookies to spread which was my main issue when I first made them. I wanted that classic spread when the cookies were put in the oven and I just wasn’t getting that. Again, it has to do with the fat.
- Rolled dough balls or scooped dough balls? Both! I used a cookie scoop to keep the cookies the same size but after I scooped the dough, I rolled them into balls and pressed them down into the pan a bit to help shape them. The shape was super important to me IDK WHY OK!
These cookies were the bane of my existence for an entire day… they took 4 tries to get right but I think I finally did it!!
1/2C Melted Butter
1/4C Coconut Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla
Zest of 2 Oranges
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4C Cocoa Powder
1/2C Chocolate Chips
- Heat your oven to 350
- Cream your sugar and butter first and then add your egg and vanilla.
- Once you add those ingredients, add the rest and mix until just combined.
- Chill your dough for 30 minutes to 1 hour. I used to hate following this step but it’s super important!
- Once your dough is chilled, scoop your balls of dough and before putting them onto a lined baking sheet, roll them and flatten a bit onto the baking sheet. This helps the cookies to achieve that classic cookie spread.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes, remove and let cool thoroughly before digging in!
- Roll your dough into calls and press down on them when on the baking sheet
- Okay to bake on parchment paper or a greased baking sheet
- Chill your dough for 30 minutes to an hour
- Let your cookies cool!
- Prep Time: 30-60 Minutes
- Cook Time: 9-11 Minutes
Keywords: Chocolate, Cookies, Orange Cookies, Chocolate Cookies, Fall Baking