This blog post is sponsored by Woodford Reserve but all opinions are my own.
In this recipe, crispy caramelized bacon meets juicy jumbo shrimp for an insane flavor combination! This easy appetizer is the perfect addition to your Kentucky Derby party at home. All you need is a couple of simple ingredients and 20 minutes of your time. Wow the derby hats off your guests with this Bacon Wrapped Shrimp recipe!
This year the Kentucky Derby is the first Saturday in May which is basically right around the corner, so you bet the Fusco household is getting ready for our own personal viewing party. I paired up with Woodford Reserve, the official sponsor of the Kentucky Derby, to show you everything you need to throw a great Kentucky Derby themed party right in the comfort of your own home!
To be honest, during this time, we should be using every event as an excuse to have our own personal quarantined party at home! Although it’s just husband and I, there will be appetizers like this Maple Bourbon Bacon Wrapped Shrimp and cocktails like Woodford Reserve’s signature derby cocktail, the Woodford Spire.
How to throw a Kentucky Derby themed party at home
- Food – what’s a party without appetizers? Whether you’re balling on a budget or plan to go all out, this Bacon Wrapped Shrimp with a Maple Bourbon Glaze recipe is a must make! Consider making a cheese board, sliders, dips for chips and do not forget a dessert!
- Cocktails – try the Woodford Spire, Woodford Reserve’s signature derby cocktail! All you will need to make it is Woodford Reserve Bourbon, lemonade, cranberry juice and a lemon twist for garnish. Complicated cocktails with a lot of ingredients intimidate me but this one is easy to make and it’s delicious! Plus you can order everything you need using Drizly and have it delivered to your doorstep – just in time for the races. Use code DERBY10 to take $10 off your purchase.
- Decorations – what is a party without decorations? Get creative with branded decor and flowers are a must!
- Attire – you’ve seen the hats and if you’ve never had a reason to wear one before, now is the time! From hats and colorful dresses to old fashion bow ties and dashing suits, the Kentucky Derby may be one of the only events where men’s fashion is just as important as women’s.
- Make your bet (if you’re into that) – you can pre-order your official Kentucky Derby programs here and have them delivered right to your home.
Ingredients to make Maple Bourbon Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
Woodford Reserve BourbonPrint
Shrimp – I made 12 but make however many you will need for your party!
Bacon – You will cut each slice of bacon in half so depending on how many shrimp you make, adjust the amount of bacon you will need.
Maple Syrup – For 12 shrimp, I used 2 Tbsp of maple syrup.
Woodford Reserve Bourbon – I used 2 Tbsp of Bourbon for this amount of shrimp
- Pre-heat your oven to 450
- Put a greased wire wrack on top of a baking sheet and begin to wrap your shrimp with 1/2 a slice of bacon.
- Secure the bacon with a toothpick. You will want to soak your toothpicks in water for a couple of minutes before doing this.
- Once your shrimps are wrapped and secured on your wire wrack, mix the Maple Syrup and Bourbon together. Brush the mixture generously onto both sides of your shrimp.
- Bake for 15 minutes and finish with broiling them for 2 more minutes.