This easy Layered Taco Salad with Ground Beef can be whipped up in a pinch and will please the entire family! If you’re a fan of #TacoTuesday but you’re trying to be a bit healthier, try this recipe out. Be sure to serve with a side of tortilla chips to really step it up a notch!
We’re smack in the middle of the Summer now and the temperatures continue to rise. For me, that means NEVER turning on the oven and easy peasy dinners. Salads topped with leftovers are perfect one-pan meals and can be packed with all sorts of toppings to make them filling and full of good for you ingredients. This Layered Taco Salad with Ground Beef is just that!
Ingredients you’ll need
Red & Green Peppers sautéed with onions
How to make a Layered Taco Salad
- Chop the lettuce, peppers and onion.
- Sauté the peppers and onions.
- Sear the ground beef and season with the taco seasoning.
- Drain and Rinse the black beans and corn.
- Slice the avocado.
- Assemble the salad: romaine, peppers and onions, black beans, corn, ground beef, cheese, avocado, salsa and sour cream.
Are Taco Salads Healthy?
In my personal opinion, you can make most meals “healthier”. To make this recipe on the healthier side make the following swaps:
- Ground beef – Swap for ground turkey, chicken or lean beef.
- Shredded Cheese – Swap for reduced-fat or “lite” cheese.
- Sour Cream – Swap for “lite” sour cream or plain Greek Yogurt.
Peppers (Red or Green are my favorite)
- Clean and chop the lettuce and peppers.
- Once the lettuce is dry, add to a large bowl.
- Chop the onion and add to a heated pan with olive oil along with the peppers. Cook until soft.
- Remove the peppers, add more oil and then add the ground beef. Allow each side to sear until browned before breaking up the meat.
- Once the beef is completely broken up and halfway cooked through, add the taco seasoning.
- Drain and rinse the corn and black beans. Add your desired amount to over the lettuce.
- Add the peppers and onions to the bowl along with about 4oz of ground beef.
- Slice or mash 1/2 of the avocado and add on top along with a spoonful of salsa and sour cream.
Keywords: Taco, Salad, Summer, Mexican