This Orange Cranberry Banana Bread is seriously out of my comfort zone. I NEVER used to bake without chocolate. Seriously, I wouldn’t even eat a non-chocolate dessert. For me, it just wasn’t worth it! But since then, and by then I mean about a year ago, I’ve grown… matured if you will and I have discovered that I can totally enjoy a dessert without chocolate!
My current obsession is the Orange Cranberry flavor that really makes this Orange Cranberry Banana Bread so unique. It’s so fresh and comforting! This recipe tastes nothing like bananas but instead the cranberry orange flavor takes over and I am in love! I made this around the holidays but I personally think this recipe could be made all year round. The flavors scream Fall to me but I think it would be a great addition to a summer dinner party as well. The orange is a bit more on the Summer/Spring side while the cranberries are perfect for the Fall/Winter.
For this recipe you can make your own cranberry sauce or use already made cranberry jam. Either will do! If you decide to make your own sauce, a few things I did to encorporate more of this Orange Cranberry flavor was:
- Adding Orange juice to the cranberry sauce instead of water when you’re cooking down the cranberries
- Adding orange zest to the sauce
Sugar is optional because the bread already has maple syrup to sweeten the recipe but if you like things a little more on the sweet side, a little more sugar is just fine!Print
This Orange Cranberry Banana Bread recipe is a great spin on a classic banana bread. The orange and cranberry flavors really make this recipe a Fall favorite. It’s perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas and it’s such a crowd favorite! I brought this loaf to my Christmas Eve last year and people LOVED it.
Ingredients for batter:
2 ripe bananas
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
Zest of an orange and lots of it
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Dash of salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 + 1/2 C whole wheat flour
Ingredients for cranberry sauce:
1 bag of fresh cranberries
2 Tbsp water or orange juice
Zest of an orange
- If you’re going to make your own cranberry sauce do that first. Pour your cranberries into a sauce pan, add your water or orange juice, orange zest and sugar if you will be using. Begin on medium heat and continuously stir until you notice the cranberries bursting and breaking down. Switch to low heat and continue to stir until the sauce is a nice jam consistency.
- Pre-heat your oven to 350.
- Combine your wet ingredients and mix until combined. Add in your dry and mix until combined.
- Spray a bread tin lightly and then cover with parchment paper (I do this so the paper doesn’t move and crinkle).
- Pour half of the batter into the pan.
- Spoon half of your jelly or cranberry sauce over the batter.
- Cover with the rest of the batter and add the remaining cranberry sauce on top.
- Take a long butter knife and begin to swirl the entire bread so the cranberry sauce is all mixed in. Swirl to your desired look of the bread.
- Pop in the oven for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 50
If you liked this Orange Cranberry Banana Bread, check out these other loaf recipes: